Sunday, June 26, 2011

French Toast Casserole with Blueberries

I found this recipe in the S.L. Tribune, but since it served 8 & Dad was out of town & your Dad doen't like blueberries & I wanted to try it...I cut the recipe so that it'll serve 2 people, I added more blueberries and the vanilla.  It was delicious served with vanilla yogurt and a little bit of maple syrup. Yea, breakfast is ready for tomorrow, I'll just heat it up in the microwave.

3 slices of bread (I used whole wheat bread)
4 oz. light cream cheese
1/2 c. milk
3 eggs
1/2 c. blueberries
3 T. maple syrup (I used lite syrup)
1/2 tsp. vanilla  (optional)
cinnamon (also optional)
Vanilla yogurt (Yoplait or a berry flavored kind)

Cut the bread into 1" cubes.  Place half the cubes in a buttered loaf pan.  Cut cream cheese into 1/2" cubes and layer on top of the bread.  Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the mixture.  Add the rest of the bread cubes.  Whip up the eggs, milk and the syrup.  Pour on top of the bread.  Cover with foil and leave in your refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. A half hour before cooking, remove from the refrigerator.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes with the foil on.  Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 - 25 minutes until the middle is done and the bread is golden brown. 

Put this together the night before you want to serve it for breakfast....first one up, takes it from the refrigerator.  Bake and enjoy this warm with a little vanilla yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.  It really was good.  The recipe said you could also use peaches or any other fruit.  ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. That does look delicious! Feel free to make it for me for breakfast when I'm home in August. :)

    ReplyDelete