Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Apple Pie

This is the recipe for everyone's favorite apple pie. I got the recipe from my BYU Food Prep class and have been using it ever since.

Here's the crust everyone loves:
Yield: 2 single crust pie shells or 1 double crust pie

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1 cup shortening
Ice water, enough to make soft dough (I think I usually use between 1/4-1/2 cup)

Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening to the size of peas. Gradually add ice water to form a soft dough. Divide into two disks and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Shape as desired. Bake single crust pie shells at 400-degrees. Bake double crust pie according to filling instructions.

Fresh Apple Pie filling (This is all tenuous because I don't really follow this. I kind of just make up the filling myself because I like a more caramelish filling, so I sprinkle in more brown sugar than white sugar and usually add more apple pie spice):

3 1/2 cups blanched, fresh apples is 1/4 inch slices
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
3 T. cornstarch, or 6 T. flour
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup apple juice
2 T. lemon juice

Peel, core and slice apples into medium bowl. The recipe says to cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes, or until apples are tender. Then it says to combine dry ingredients in a medium saucepan and then add the wet ingredients until thick. But I usually just stir all the ingredients in a big pan over the stove and cook over medium heat until the apples are tender (but not too soft) and the filling is thick and bubbly and to my liking. Then pour the filling into the pie crust and seal the edges well. I never have much luck making it look very pretty, but it hasn't stopped anyone from eating it. Prick the top and decorate as desired. Brush lightly with milk, avoiding crimped edges, and sprinkle lightly with coarse sugar (I usually don't do this, because who owns coarse sugar?). Bake at 400-degrees for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment