Monday, October 11, 2010

Pumpkin Cannelloni with Sage Brown-Butter Sauce

I don't know what it is, but everything pumpkin sounds good to me lately. I think it's due to my drought of Panshire that's making me crave pumpkin dishes. So, in an effort to satisfy my craving, I've been researching fresh pumpkin dishes. I tried this one out last night, and it was pretty good. Good enough I'm eating it again for lunch today.

Amy's notes: I don't know how you can tell if a pumpkin is ripe, but makes sure it's just that, ripe. I feel like the dish would have had more of a pumpkin favor had I had a ripe pumpkin, and not one that had some green skin that I found after peeling it. Have you ever peeled a pumpkin before? I hadn't. I haven't even cooked with an actual pumpkin before either. Also, I think it would be really good if you added some pure pumpkin (canned) to the pumpkin mixture, just to ensure you get a delectable pumpkin flavor in every bite.John's a good sport in letting me be adventurous with my cooking and letting me try new dishes, even ones without meat. Maybe some Italian sausage would be good mixed in?


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 pound(s) pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup(s) ricotta
  • 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) finely chopped fresh sage, plus 4 large whole leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
  • 1 package(s) (8-ounce) oven-ready lasagna sheets
  • 6 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Place pumpkin, along with 3/4 cup water, in a large skillet over medium heat. Cover and steam until tender, 20 minutes. Remove to a medium bowl and mash until smooth.
  3. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet and sauté garlic until golden. Transfer garlic to a mortar and pestle, then crush to a paste. Stir cheeses, chopped sage, salt, pepper, and garlic paste into mashed pumpkin. Set aside.
  4. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook lasagna sheets until tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and drizzle with olive oil to prevent pasta from sticking together. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water.
  5. Liberally brush a medium baking dish with oil. Place a lasagna sheet on a clean work surface. Add 4 tablespoons pumpkin mixture to center of lasagna, roll into a cannelloni tube, then transfer to prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining sheets.
  6. Pour reserved pasta water over lasagna and cover tightly with foil. Bake until heated through and pasta is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Cook butter and sage leaves in small skillet over medium-high heat until golden-brown. Drizzle over pumpkin cannelloni and serve immediately. Amy's Notes: make sure you don't burn the butter and sage leaves while trying to brown. I accidentally did that, but it still tasted alright.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh.... yumm Amers! This is definitely very daring of you to make for a boy. I'm glad John is a good sport. You're a lucky girl. Can you imagine mom trying to make dad eat this?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say it was worth the effort, because there really wasn't that much effort that went into it...or maybe there was which is why I waited to make it on a Sunday. Either way I thought it was really good, and yes, I'd probably make it again, meat or no meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. from Lorena:
    Delicious. Just made it tonight. Thanks for the recipe. I totally cheated and used canned pumpkin. I just had to know if it was good with canned pumpkin before going to all the trouble (and added expense) - I know I run the risk of it not being as good, but I figured I would be more likely to make it again if it was still good, after all. And it was. Rob liked it a lot and had no suspicion of my canned pumpkin sin.

    ReplyDelete