Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Baked Steak (aka quite possibly the best beef dish I've ever made)

I found this recipe in an issue of Woman's Day magazine I found at Amy's house last week. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to try it ASAP. So less than 24 hours after arriving back in Tennessee, I made this for our dinner. Oh my goodness . . . YUM! Even with forgetting to buy mushrooms, it was still divine. Although next time I make it I'll probably cut back on the amount of lemon juice in the sauce. My finished product didn't look quite as elegant as the picture below (apparently I lack meat cutting skills), but it still tasted as good as I thought it was going to when I first saw it in the magazine.

Baked Steak
(I halved this and it was the perfect amount for Brian and I)


8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on a diagonal
1 lemon, very thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
1 2-lb, 2-in.-thick sirloin steak
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup ketchup
1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
Baked potatoes, for serving


Recipe Preparation

1. Heat oven to 400°F. In a roasting pan, combine the mushrooms, celery, lemon, onion, oil, and 1⁄4 tsp each salt and pepper.

2. Season the steak with 1⁄2 tsp each salt and pepper, rub with the garlic and place on top of the vegetables.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, lemon juice and Worcestershire.

4. Spoon the ketchup mixture over the top of the steak and roast 30 to 35 minutes for medium-rare (when a meat thermometer registers 125°F). Transfer the meat to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing. Serve the steak with the vegetables and baked potatoes, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I've made this for Isaac twice. Once in D.C. And again in Seattle the other night. Only I didn't have celery, I had red peppers, so I used that. And it was pretty dang good! Isaac loved it.

    ReplyDelete